It’s been about two months since my fiance and I moved in together. And since then, we’ve been wedding planning and more importantly getting used to one another. I will openly admit that everything hasn’t been absolutely perfect. Learning how to live with someone is always a process and it is not always smooth. And even though it has only been a few months, I have learned a lot about living with your significant other and planning your lives out for forever.
I can tell you all about the great times and keep everything sounding like a fairytale, but that wouldn’t be me being honest. And if you’re at the point in your relationship where you are planning to move in with your significant other, you might be having some doubts or questioning how things are going to be.
Or maybe, you have already moved in together and you are starting to through the hard moments and you’re trying to figure out how to get through them.
In their situation, I want to share with you what I have learned and give you a few tips on cherishing the better moments and getting through the more difficult ones.
5 Tips on Moving in with Your Significant Other:
- Pick Your Battles: There are going to be times when you move in together where the tiniest thing that the other person does just bothers you. It could be that you have a way of doing something and your significant other does it in a completely different manner. Of course that is going to drive you crazy, we are all human and we like things done the way we have been doing it for years, but that’s not always a reason to start a fight. In that situation, you have to step back and realize this person is not you, and if you never explained how you do things or even if you have, your significant other is not used to it and there has to be a way to meet in the middle. I am still learning that, but I have been working on not getting upset when it isn’t done my way.
- Compromise: This definitely connects with the previous point. When you are living together, there has to be moments where both of you sit down and settle on a plan that meets both of your expectations and tendencies. It’s not the easiest thing to do. One of you might just be so set in that plan of action that the other one doesn’t want to budge. But compromise is not always making a plan that meets to the both of you, but also letting one get the way this time and the next time, you do it the other person’s way.
- Plan Together: When you were not living together, you never really felt completely obligated to tell the other person where you were going or what you were doing at every moment in the day. And if you were doing that before, then this tip is something that you have already achieved. When I was living at home with my parents before I moved in with my fiance, I would mention to him occasionally what my plans were if it were a situation where I was going to be out someplace more than an hour away from my home or if it was something that was going to take up my entire day. But now, I have to let me fiance know where I am throughout the day for safety reasons. We have found that using a calendar that hangs in our apartment and/or just sharing our calendar for the week has worked for us.
- Keep Up the Date Nights: When my fiance and I didn’t live together we planned out date nights because we didn’t see each other as often. And though we live together now and see each other every day, we still have date nights to keep things fun and get us out the house. It’s important to still do things together and share special moments each and every chance that you can get.
- Live, Laugh, Love: In those hard moments, just remember how much you love that person. Well, you should keep that in mind in every moment. Laugh together, share stories, and appreciate that you two are now starting your lives together and growing/maturing with each other. It is journey that is bound to be difficult, but you have the blessing of being able to do with with someone who is looking out for you and has your best interests in mind.
Tan Suede Jacket – Boohoo
Long Sleeved Top – Forever 21
Light Wash Jeggings – American Eagle
OTK Tan Boots – Charlotte Russe