These winter storms this season have been outrageous. At least we are not out trying to fight the storm. But that isn’t the case for many of us. Even when the storm is over, that killer wind-chill and the lower temperatures are still super harsh which really makes you want to either cozy up in a warm wool coat and not even consider getting out of the car or making us feel as if we should all just stay at home. Maybe call out for a sick day because it is so crazy cold. Though I wish we had unlimited sick days or that winter weather only lasted for short periods of time, I have to deal either way. The main way to deal with the cold weather is to stock up on winter coats. There are 3 coat styles that should be a staple in your closet.
Especially when you want to head out and take advantage of all the fun activities of the winter season.
COAT STYLES FOR THE WINTER
When the weather starts to turn chilly, there’s nothing like a good winter coat to keep you warm. But with so many different styles to choose from, it can be hard to know which one is right for you. From the pea coat, the trench coat, overcoat, parka, and so many others it can be a bit overwhelming.
Also if you are anything like I was, you may have one main coat that you wear no matter the occasion. It’s your go-to coat. Whether it’s a day playing out in the snow, a date night, or even a wedding, you still have on that same coat that doesn’t go with the dressier outfits that you own. I learned that there needs to be a switch-up. I am excited to share the main coats on trend that you need to have in your closet to get through every event this winter.
THE PEA COAT
Just like how everyone says trench coats are essential for the Fall, everyone needs a pea coat in the Winter. A pea coat is a classic style that never goes out of fashion. It’s typically made from thick wool fabric, which makes it ideal for cold weather. It is the one coat that goes with your dressier outfits where you are wearing pants or a shorter dress. Pea coats come in a variety of different lengths. Although the lengths aren’t too drastic in change or it would no longer be a pea coat.
I’ve worn my pea coats with jeans, dress pants, and dresses that do not go past my knees.
A pea coat is a great wardrobe staple – it’s warm, stylish, and easy to dress up or down. And while a pea coat is a great investment piece, it can be a bit pricey. So how can you get the most out of your pea coat and make sure it lasts for years to come?
Here are a few tips on how to dress up a pea coat:
- Pair it with a scarf: A scarf is a perfect accessory to take your pea coat from every day to fabulous. Choose a scarf in a bold color or print to really make a statement.
- Add some bling: Pea coats are fairly simple, so it’s easy to dress them up with a little bit of jewelry. Add a necklace or some earrings to take your outfit to the next level.
THE PUFFER JACKET
Puffer jackets are having a moment right now – and I could not be more excited about it. These cozy jackets are perfect for chilly days and they come in a variety of styles to suit any taste. Now don’t be thrown off by the name. The Puffer jacket is not a thin jacket that is only meant for the warmer days of the winter. Though it is called a jacket, it is, in every way, a puffer coat.
You can typically find a puffer jacket in a variety of lengths. I have one that actually goes down to my knees, while I have friends that have their puffers ending at their waistline. Many puffers are typically filled with some kind of feathering. This helps to keep in warmth and keeps you dry when you are outside taking part in those outdoor activities such as snowball fights and making snow angels.
Puffer jackets are a must-have for any winter wardrobe, but they can sometimes feel a bit bulky and boxy. This season, though, there are so many stylish and flattering puffer jackets on the market. From cropped and fitted to quilted and oversized, there’s a puffer jacket to suit every taste.
So how do you style a puffer jacket to look chic and stylish? Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Opt for a fitted or cropped puffer coat to show off your waist. Pair it with high-waisted jeans and a turtleneck for a warm and stylish outfit.
- Go for an oversized puffer jacket for a relaxed and comfortable look. Pair it with leggings and a sweater for a cozy outfit that you can wear all day long.
THE RELAXED GO-TO COAT
Everyone needs that relaxed go-to winter coat that is not a play coat but also not a dressy coat. It’s that coat that you wear when you go to work or when going out for lunch with your friends. My recommendation for relaxed winter coats is to get it at a length that is longer than a peat coat length but not one that is down past your knees. Like this beige double breasted coat.
You don’t want it to be as thick as a bomber because you’re not going to be outside and you don’t want it to be super heavy. Your go-to coat is more used to keep you warm during the times that you’re walking between your car and your destination. Even when you’re walking in and out of stores during the warmer days of winter if you go to an outlet store.
Just because it’s a relaxed coat doesn’t mean it has to be boring. With a few simple styling tricks, you can dress up your relaxed coat and make it look fabulous.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add a scarf: A scarf can add a pop of color and personality to your coat.
- Wear a statement necklace: A big, bold necklace will dress up any outfit, including a relaxed coat.
- Belt it: Cinching your coat at the waist with a belt will give it a more flattering shape.
- Add a brooch: A brooch adds a touch of elegance to any outfit.
STYLING Winter Coats
Winter coats are one of the best parts of the season! They keep you warm and cozy while also adding a touch of style to your outfit. But with so many different coats on the market, it can be hard to know how to style them.
Here are a few tips to help you style your winter coats:
- Pair your coat with a scarf for a chic and put-together look.
- Go for a longer coat for a more elegant feel, or a shorter coat for a more casual look.
- Add a belt to cinch in your waist and create a flattering silhouette.
- Boots or heels can elevate your look and help you dress down or up.
- Choose a coat in a festive color or pattern to really make a statement.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be sure to find the perfect winter coat to suit your style.
When it comes to winter coats, there are so many different styles to choose from. Next time you are out to shop keep these 3 styles in mind as they will keep you warm and stylish this winter.